This former windmill, now known as St Patrick’s Tower, was the largest smock windmill in Europe and was used to power the Roe Distillery on Thomas Street in Dublin. George Roe and Company had it’s beginnings in 1757 when Peter Roe bought a small distillery here. By 1887 it had expanded into the largest distillery in Europe. It went out of business in 1940, and the Guinness purchased the property. (details courtesy of Curious Ireland ( curiousireland.ie).